Sometimes Therapy Is Awkward
Sometimes this job is really hard. Sometimes it’s also painful, messy, and downright confusing. In its much-anticipated release, this guide chronicles the strange nuances of working in mental health in the modern world.
Sometimes Therapy Is Awkward provides refreshingly candid insight into what it takes to feel more confident and prepared to help others.
UNLIKE ANYTHING YOU’VE READ
Stories, jokes, and action-based solutions for:
- Coping with excruciating insecurities
- Finding and owning your theory
- Improving your clinical skills
- Navigating the workplace
- Setting healthy and effective boundaries
- Managing burnout and fatigue
- Understanding mental health treatment in the modern world
Using introspection and humor, this practical roadmap is ideal for aspiring therapists, new therapists, and any therapist who identifies with feeling afraid or uncomfortable in their work.
We are supporting the USPS as our shipping vendor. Please note that shipping times are slightly delayed due to COVID-19 and the holiday season. Shipping times vary. Please review our shipping policy or email us if you have any questions or concerns.
See What People Are Raving About
- “I wish that I had this book as a resource when I was in graduate school, especially when I was starting practicum. If I could, I would go back in time, gift this book to my past self, and tell grad-school-me that everything is going to be ok!" Stephanie Grogan, MS, LPC, LCDC, NCC
- “This book offers a fresh, light-hearted perspective that gets to the core of the insecurities and anxiety new (and seasoned!) therapists can experience, while also providing tangible, concrete suggestions about how to navigate some of these challenges.” -Nicole DiLella, PhD, LPC
- “For any person considering counseling as a profession, this book needs to be on your must read tomorrow, now, and yesterday list. The real world application, and insight is invaluable as the author describes what counseling is like in the modern world.” Luis Figueroa, Graduate Student
- “To say the book is excellent would be an understatement. I've been searching for reassurance, for relief, for such a very long time, and you delivered it to me in a way that truly penetrated. Unlike so many other texts I've read related to our field, yours felt like TRUTH, not just knowledge. I've felt so alone, so starved for a deep breath, and as I write this, I feel at peace, like I can breathe a sigh of relief. Like all will be okay.” - Michelle Liva, MA, AMFT
- “Many of the other similar books I have read about therapy as a profession have almost seemed like collections of essays, with somewhat philosophical undertones, about how this type of work impacts your life, dotted through with personal anecdotes and bits of advice. To me, this book had a very different tone – it was like reading a “for dummies” version of a therapy handbook. Honestly, it was quite refreshing in this way, and fills a niche that I didn’t know I was looking for. I’m not doing postgrad yet so I’m not sure if this is what supervision is like, but reading this book felt like getting a detailed and down-to-earth supervision session from a knowledgeable and compassionate mentor.” - Kate Western, Aspiring Therapist
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Receive exclusive updates about the book preorder!